We have been reporting and referring to the upcoming F32 and F82 models as the 4 Series Coupe and M4 Coupe for months now, and Automobile
now comes in with their ruminations on what the M4 and 4 series lineup will bring. Although much of this is not new information, it provides a good review of what to expect for the upcoming 4 Series and M4:
4 Series Coupe (F32), 4 Series Convertible (F33), and Gran Coupe (F36)
• Coupe variant of F30 3 Series to be called 4 Series (positioned and priced in lineup just as the 6 Series Coupe is positioned in the 5/6 Series lineup)
M4 Coupe (F82) and M4 Gran Coupe (F86)
• Four door "coupe" styled variant to be called 4 Series Gran Coupe (positioned and priced in lineup just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe is positioned in the 5/6 Series lineup)
• Ballpark guesstimate of $4500 premium for 428i over identically equipped 328i (for example, a similar amount is required to upgrade from a four-door Audi A4 to an A5 coupe)
• Double that amount of premium for the 4 Series Gran Coupe and triple it for the 4 Series cabriolet (based off current BMW pricing policies for the 6 Series Gran Coupe and Convertible)• 4 Series Convertible retains retractable folding hardtop, with rumored improved folding mechanism and more space efficient design when retracted in trunk (BIMMERPOST Note: we're not sure on this one, as the hardtop folding mechanism actually looks to be the same as on the E93 3 Series Convertible, as seen in this spy video of F33's folding hardtop in action)
• 4 Series Gran Coupe shares extended wheelbase of 3 Series GT which allows for more interior space and sleeker coupe-like roofline, windshield, and shape (recent spy photos).
• 4 Series engine lineup mirrors 3 Series, but with addition of two new diesels: a 218-hp 425d and a 286-hp 435d
• BIMMERPOST Note: We expect the F32 4 Series Coupe deliveries to begin in late Summer/Fall of 2013.
• Coupe variant of F80 M3 to be called M4
• Four door "coupe" styled variant to to be called M4 Gran Coupe
• M engineers are rumored to be striving to push the curb weight of the M3 and M4 to under 3300 lb (1500kg), which should shave a few tenths off 0-62 mph times. This is said to be accomplished with aluminum doors, roof, hood, trunk, carbon brake discs.
• BIMMERPOST Note: Although we'd love for this to come true, we're skeptical of this claim however, as this would amount to over 400 pounds shaved off the current M3 sedan's curb weight. Furthermore, the roof would certainly have to be carbon fiber (not aluminum as claimed) and we've yet to spy carbon ceramic brakes in any of the M3 or M4 prototypes (full spy pics compilation). This much weight reduction will be difficult to achieve without extensive use of carbon fiber construction, which we have reported that the F80 M3 and F82 M4 will not be featuring.• Everything else speculated stays close to our latest 'facts' list about the F80 M3 / F82 M4
• BIMMERPOST Note
: We expect the F82 M4 Coupe to be introduced late 2014.
M440i and M440d
• We may see two M Performance models spawned from the 4 Series lineup - the M440i and M440d, with the M440i to replace the 335is.
• BIMMERPOST Note: Whether we actually see models badged as "440i or 440d" remains to be seen, but we will surely see M Performance Automobiles spawned off the F30 3 Series and F32 4 Series lineups (in the form of M335i, M435i, M340i, or M440i, etc..)
This leaves the following as the future 3/4 Series and M3/M4 lineup:
F30 = 3 Series Sedan
F31 = 3 Series Touring
F32 = 4 Series Coupe
F33 = 4 Series Convertible
F34 = 3 Series GT
F35 = 3 Series Li (Long Wheelbase)
F36 = 4 Series Gran Coupe
F80 = M3 sedan
F82 = M4 coupe
F86 = M4 Gran Coupe
Keep in mind that until officially announced by BMW, everything remains speculation, but we believe that most of the above is uncontroversial (notwithstanding the M3/M4 weight estimate).
One last thing - the M4 render above is just a teaser for now. Final renders to be posted soon.