It's been weeks since the last F80 M3 sightings, but we've now spotted the 2014 M3 prototype undergoing winter/cold climate testing and it looks like the testing has advanced to another stage.
M Carbon Ceramic Brakes
For the first time, we see the F80 M3 in a color other than black (Alpine White), which sometimes signals a more advanced stage of testing. Beyond that however, this is the first F80 prototype to sport BMW M Carbon Ceramic Brakes
. One can tell that they are ceramic brakes by the brake rotor material and gold brake calipers (a signature color for M Carbon Ceramic Brakes beginning with the current M5 and M6 - more details
). To give you an idea of what kind of performance increase may be expected, on the M5/M6, the ceramic brakes reduce the brakes' unsprung weight by 42.8 lb (19.4 kg) total and also obviously increases fade resistance.
Also, the M Carbon Ceramic Brakes feature six-piston calipers at the front axle as opposed to four-piston calipers seen on all previous F80 M3 prototypes.
Carbon Fiber Roof?
With the new prototype color, are we also getting a look at something which could possibly signal a carbon fiber roof? The black roof ledge on a prototype (with the rest of the roof being covered in camouflage) has sometimes been a sign of a carbon fiber roof. Hopefully future prototypes will soon reveal the presence (or lack of) a carbon fiber roof.
For more M3/M4 coverage see: http://www.bimmerpost.com/m3/f30m3/
And as we often do when posting F80 spy photos, here is the latest list of what we know about the F80/F82 so far:
- Lighter than current M3
- targeting E46 M3 weight (source)
- More powerful than current M3
- approximately same HP, but around 100 lb-ft more torque (in range of 395 lb-ft) (source)
- Faster than current M3 (source)
- More efficient than current M3 (source)
- Powered by an inline 6 cylinder multi-turbo engine (source, source)
- Offered with optional or standard manual transmission
- Rumored Electric Power Steering (completely reworked for precision for M3/M4)
- Tires (from prototype) - Michelin Pilot Super Sport: 255/35/19 (front), 275/35/19 (rear)
- Front styling to feature elements from the M6 and 1M coupe, with Air Curtain technology (our render set 1 and render set 2)
- Hood to feature power dome (as seen in photos below)
- M3 Introduced late 2013 - early 2014 (concept debuts earlier)
- M3 European Delivery begins July 2014, at earliest
- M4 Introduced no earlier than late 2014