View Single Post
      05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Didn't realize VAG had a 3.0T, I know they have a supercharged 3.0 V6 but not turbo.

My understanding is that a lot of this turbocharging is really driven by cafe and hiking gas prices. I think there's a little bit of "juking the stats" (wire reference ) going on where EPA numbers are pretty generous given they test the cars at 1.5k RPM without any boost (Ford looks to be the worst offender). Whether or not FI engine's allow you to have your cake and eat it too is probably an interesting debate, but BMW seems to be getting fantastic results with the N55 from an efficiency point in addition to a wide power band. I'm guessing when you buy an executive luxury sports sedan like a panamera, S8 or M5...you really want the car to be responsive across the entire RPM band so you can have immediate power without having to downshift to 3rd on the highway.

But for the R8 or Lambo, I would guess they sell in such low volume that the affect on your cafe fleet requirements will be a drop in the bucket. Not to mention the people buying these cars don't care about fuel economy when they'll be driving them 5k miles a year. Only consideration I suppose is a possible rising gas guzzler tax? BMW on the other hand sells a good amount of ///M cars so efficiency is still important for meeting fleet requirements - I think there are a lot of people who would buy an M3 now if it wasn't for the 15MPG or whatever people are getting (and gas guzzler tax).
Isn't the 3.0T supercharged, though? In the A6/Q5/Q7, the 3.0T is supercharged. the T is misleading, it isn't turbocharged.
Appreciate 0