SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I was told this by the chief instructor of bmw hpde. Do you instruct for track days?
No, but you may very well have been instructed by my boss, the owner of the driving school, since he's been Chief Instructor for our chapter, been a HPDE instructor for at least a couple of decades and done many HPDEs with the LA chapter, as well as being an instructor at the BMW CCA ///M School at the Nurburgring. He's also won so many SD BMW CCA autocrosses including FTOD that many years ago he excluded himself from being eligible for trophies. He is well-known in SoCal and national BMW circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
My mirrors right now have no blind spot. In fact, my side mirrors show the car in the next lane approach from afar as well as when they are next to me - as in, its on my side, in my peripheral vision, and in my side mirrors. So your post is strange. Also, when i am stopped at the red light, i look over my shoulder (where blind spot would be) and confirm that its in my mirrors.

Even the rear view if positioned correctly will show the beginning of the blind spot. With the rear view mirror and side view mirrors positioned correctly, you will have more than 180 degrees view behind you.

On the road, i still look back for additional measure and for just in case when there are plenty of cars. But most of the time, i only look at my mirrors at different angles by moving my head to check
Sorry, I'm not buying this. You can't see 180 degrees behind you with just the mirrors, not enough to make a decision if a car on your left or right flank in just the right spot to be in your blind spot. And you certainly can't see more than 180 degrees with your mirrors because that means that with your mirrors you would be able to see ahead of what you can see by simply turning your head left or right 90 degrees. That's just not possible.

I also look at my mirrors at different angles for my first check but I always look in my blind spot for final confirmation.

I also owned a S2000 for 13 years before I bought the Z4 M Roadster. I had blind spot mirrors on that car because it was pretty hard to see out of when the top was up, especially with the plastic back window. I hated driving that car at night when it was cold, or in the rain, until I replaced the top with one that had a glass rear window. I haven't gotten around to that yet with the Z4MR.

Appreciate 0