View Single Post
      02-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's no different than a dealer selling with a markup over MSRP in that case then. You simply go elsewhere. Only a very few dealers will set prices and complete sales above MSRP, whether that is US Delivery MSRP or ED MSRP.
I was responding to your comment saying it would be devastating if BMW NA did not offer ED on these cars. It seems a lot of people believe if they do not get ED pricing, it's because of those bad boys at BMW NA. I was trying to point out that the culprit here, if there is one, is the dealer not BMW NA. Yes, shopping dealers is the best way , if "the deal" interests you.

Back in the days when ED invoice sales were so prevalent, I read more than one poster who commented that he got the same ED invoice pricing without having to go to Munich. That lead to my conclusion that, among other things, the dealer makes the same profit regardless of whether the car is delivered on his lot or in Munich.
I know some people suspect there is a kind of ED benefit which accrues to BMW, the manufacturer, and which, eventually, finds itself in the dealers wallet. Could be, but I'm not convinced it's always there. To begin with, it just doesn't seem logical that BMW would refund the dealer the entire 7% discount the dealer gave the customer. Maybe a smaller amount? How small? What makes sense to me is: the kickback is there only when BMW needs to move cars.

You asked about where the M3/M4 is a tough sell right now. The way I look at it, dealers are like snowflakes, they're all different. If "the deal" is important, then find the dealer who is in a market where the car is likely to sit on his lot for while.
Appreciate 0