02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #106
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM1104 View Post
Don't get me wrong.. Loved my M3 and my F10 M5 and was really looking forward to the new M4 convertible but it looks like a Lexus IS!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I would guess that's a black "wrap" since we've seen other mules wrapped. Mixed bag in looks.

Looks awesome here:

But the opposite of awesome here ( agree with Lexus is comment ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

I hate to say it, but it does somehow remind me of the Lexus IS. It must be that disproportionate looking roof.

On a positive note, I think that trunk looks really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws;*****558
Lexus.
The guys who think this looks like a Lexus should really see one side-by-side for comparison. BMW from as far back as the E30 of the 80's has done a masterful job of keeping the belt line and deck lid of their convertibles low enough to give the driver and passengers some dignity. We've all seen other convertibles (the Lexus IS included) that have such a low seating position and such a high belt line and deck lid (an engineering cheat to accommodate the roof) that the driver is basically a disembodied head when driving with the top down.

In a BMW, good design and engineering allows a portion of the driver's shoulders and neck to be visible in addition to their heads. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it makes a HUGE difference aesthetically. Look for yourself. Compare drivers and passengers in a BMW convertible to other convertible types and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugmaster View Post
I'm curious to see how many people that say they prefer soft tops have actually had one. My e46 vert. started making this crazy wind noise after 100 mph. When it happened, I always wished it was a hard top.
Well I've had both (E46 and E93 M3) and can't stress enough what a HUGE difference the folding hardtop made to rigidity, noise abatement and climate control. I really LOVED that hardtop and lauded BMW for engineering a solution to solve the aforementioned problems.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0