CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I saw these same two beauties at the Calgary Auto Show. They have a few pre-production quirks. For instance the M4 (didn't look in the M3's) engine bay has metal jobber bracing instead of the CF and the M logos on the seats didn't illuminate. The Calgary presenters were super friendly with me and let me pretty much do anything but start them - including listening to the stereo. I felt sorry for some of the display models at the show having to endure mayhem munchkins reefing on door handles to try to get in the cars to be able to destroy the interiors. I didn't blame the BMW fellows for keeping the doors locked but they were very accomadating to anyone who might be a serious buyer. Telling them I had one on order and that I wanted to make sure that I wanted the M4 over the M3 got me pretty good access.

I came away with a deep conviction that I had made the right choice with the M4 and plunking my behind in the driver's seat for about an hour sure helped. Coupe sins were pretty muted in that the door was easy to open and the seat belt was easy to grab. There is no seat belt delivery thingee in these models which is all right by me. The seat, armrests and everything else felt custom made for me and that made me pretty happy that I didn't screw up buying a car without every having sat in it.

For the M3 crowd, the driver's seat felt more closed in with the smaller door than the M4 and it felt more like the car shrink wrapped around you when you sat in it. The M4, by contrast, felt more open and airy with the elongated door and the B pillar set further back. So though the M3 is supposed to be the better people hauler of the two, sitting in the M3 made you feel more like it was just you and the car. I forgot however to check the rear view in both cars and I am wondering if anyone found that the slopped window in the M4 cut off rearward visibility somewhat?
It is just a guess, but maybe it is the Silverstone interior that made the M4 seem more open and airy to you compared to the M3.

In Montreal, we had the exact opposite colours for the M3 and M4 that you had in Calgary/Vancouver. To me, the AY M4, with its black interior, felt much more cramped in than the YMB M3 with the Silverstone interior that felt nice and airy. The M4 rear quarters felt especially cramped in all black as there is not a single colour accent in the back with the all black option.

The rear quarters of the M4 are definitely more cramped than the rear quarters of the E92 M3. I sit comfortably in the back seat of my E92 with plenty of head room to spare. My head was rubbing on the roof in the back of the M4. The lower and sloping roof line can definitely be felt. There was no such issue in the M3 though.

I usually prefer black interiors, but going back and forth between the two cars for over an hour got me to decide on the Silverstone interior for my M4 because it feels so much airier.
Appreciate 0