Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Nice post!

@Kurt_OH

That hissy fit may mean a lost customer, but if they lose one and gain three new customers, it's a win. Like the post above stated, people tend to refer to subjective data points to make a case when they can't argue with the objective data.
I agree with all of this. As I said previously, the S65 simply brings tremendous enjoyment of truly fantastic engineering and design, fabulous sound, responsiveness and uniqueness to the E9x. If the measure is simple speed, the new engine delivers what you want. If "special" adds value to a potential customer's calculations, the new car loses points.

In any event, clearly BMW thinks the customers they want don't care enough to leave over it, or that there aren't any legit alternatives anyway. As for losing one and gaining three, that's not happening, especially as the M3 gets less special. If it's JUST fast (nothing particularly compelling or special in addition), then it's in a big group of fast "commodity" cars. Besides, BMW doesn't sell many M cars to begin with; gaining multiple new buyers to replace each of those lost is unlikely. Oh, and in my case, both my wife and I currently drive Bimmers so there are two customers at risk who like and have bought new BMWs, and want to buy more of them. Our son also likes them and will soon be driving. We'll see if they didn't lose three.

On the other hand, maybe the new engine won't end up being the catastrophe of a tuned
N55 that I fear.
Appreciate 0