View Single Post
      03-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #17
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Thank you. All these are very helpful.

I like the fact that in the M, there are 2 different buttons for throttle response & transmission behavior as opposed to the 1 button I have now in my 335.

The open valves in sport & sport+ mode is what I was really asking about in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Think of it this way.

in your 335, the sport button changes both the throttle response and the transmission behavior.

In the M, you have one button for each of those two behaviors, so you can mix and match.

Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A lot of good answers have already been provided. I will just add my spin to the answers

1. ASD is always active. I don't find it detrimental to the quality of whatever I listen to on the sound system. That being said, I will de-activate ASD at the first opportunity as I simply don't like the concept of the engine note being played through the speakers.

2. The "3 bars" button controls the Drivelogic settings of the DCT. In D mode, it mostly governs the RPM at which the DCT shifts and also lightly alters the harshness/smoothness of the shifts. In S mode, it solely governs the harshness/smoothness of the shifts. In S1, it will execute butter smooth shifts regardless of throttle position or RPM and it will (mostly) not rev-match on downshifts, it is the ideal setting for a comfortable DD. S2 will still execute smooth shifts at lower RPM but will do more aggressive shifts at higher RPM and it will rev-match on downshifts, ideal for a spirited drive with DSC on or in MDM. S3 will execute all out powershifts for optimal acceleration and has the most immediate and sharp rev-matched downshifts, ideal for the race track with DSC off (I find S3 to aggressive to be used with DSC On or MDM). Do note that the "Engine response" setting is more that just throttle sensivity. In Sport and Sport+, the anti-lag features are also activated.

3. As others have stated, WOT simply stands for Wide Open Throttle. It is "engaged" every time your right foot is planted to the floor .

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Clarification on the throttle maps.

Position 1 is linear, 10% pedal application is 10% throttle application
Sport is NOT linear, 10% pedal application is 10%+ throttle application.
Sport+ is NOT linear, 10% pedal application is 10%++ throttle application

Sport and Sport+ also open the second valve in the exhaust so you will HEAR much more from the motor as well.

On the transmission positions, S3 will activate traction control on the 1/2 and 2/3 shifts at WOT. The throttle cut is VERY annoying. My recommendation would be S2/MDM and S3 DSC OFF
Appreciate 0