07-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #45
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
F80 vs 991 base

F80 is going to give you a much more usable and higher power band in the lows and mids. Hell, I'd even go as far as saying it pulls pretty hard to redline. I took it down from 6th to 4th today and it went from 80 to 120 pretty damn fast. I am coming from an E90 M3 and while the engine was amazing, i had to rev the shit out of it to make it feel fast.

If the OP is a track rat, and he is actually going to take the car out to the track multiple times a year to feel the "higher limits" you refer to, then yes, he will feel it is the obvious choice. But for most of us on here, that use the car as a daily with very occasional track runs, the M3 shines.

The 991 is an awesome car, don't get me wrong, but the price point is getting kind of ridiculous. Most people buy it because they want a daily driver "exotic" and want the cache that comes with driving a Porsche. I'll drive past 10 today on my way home from the office as I drive through downtown Chicago. Most of which will be a base model with a likely automatic trans.

The OP has an M on order and I'd stick with it, not get into a used base model 991. Its very easy to fall into the hype when you read about cars on websites and forums. At the end of the day, you buy and drive what offers you the best experience in what you prioritize.
I also went from an E92 M3 to an F80 M3, and have been less than happy with the F80 M3. I've not driven a turbo BMW that I find thrilling or exciting and the F80 is no exception. Plus I cannot stand the lawnmower exhaust note, diesel sounding engine, and damn active sound helps to ruin it more.
I don't think it has nearly as strong a top end as a base 911 and not nearly a 991S, but those cars are meant to be revved. Very different engine characteristics.
I agree you will have a bit more low/mid than a 3.4 liter Carrera, but an 'S' model is plenty powerful, as its neck and neck with an F80 M3 despite a lot less horsepower/torque. The base is a little slower, 113 mph trap with a manual and around 114/115 with PDK, which by all means isn't slow at all.
On the track, the 911 of either variation will certainly be faster and only continue whereas the M3 does get hairy very quick, its brakes a bit soft and the tires overheat very quickly.
Appreciate 0