View Single Post
      08-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #82
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Interesting that people are "deniers" of the stated explanation that this is due to increased environmental regulations mandating an additional/larger/more-effective fuel filter.
I'm not denying anything. I'm just surprised by the timing and wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Turning off one supplier and turning off another is not easy. It could have been planned to happen at the same time, and the filter was delayed, or maybe the steel supplier needed to ensure a certain production volume to meet a business case. Of course cost is a factor, but it's not malicious "screw the customer to save a dollar" type stuff. It's the reality of a complex mass production operation.
I get that, but I find the timing odd. BMW surely is big enough and can twist enough arms to stop producing the CF shafts for the steel ones when they need them. The wording about making space for the future emission components is odd. If I'm reading that right they are going to produce cars with the steel driveshafts, but those won't have the new emissions equipment yet. I just find this and the explanation odd. Maybe I read it and understand it wrong and the new cars will have the new equipment.

Also, for the US spec cars so is it a US law mandating this or a German one? If the US or other markets don't need them why change it, especially since the US is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) M market.
Appreciate 0