Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
No need to espouse the virtues of investing and earning more than the rate on your note. You can just admit that you initially misspoke and that simply using leverage to acquire a vehicle has nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not.

As for waiting until your emergency fund looks like it may be depleted, I would certainly say it's too late at that point. You seem to indicate that this is nothing more than a 1-2 month dip and everything will immediately go back to normal after that. I absolutely hope you are correct on that but unfortunately it seems unlikely. If one were 4+ months into his emergency fund with no prospects in sight I bet that person would wish they got rid of their expensive German car in month 1 instead of wasting money on something they didn't need. There will always be a ton of M3s out there and it's easy enough to buy another one when the time is right. But you can't get back they money you spent on it once it's gone, money that can be used to support yourself and family when times are tough.

Anyway, didn't mean to harp on this but I have just seen too many posts criticizing people for "not being able to afford" their car and minimizing the financial impact that the coronavirus is having on the economy. Try having some empathy instead of being critical.
What I've noticed is that the people least able to afford these cars are usually the ones that are the most butthurt.
And I find that people who go out of their way to criticize others are usually the do as i say, not as I do type

Good luck with all of your riches and your M3.
Appreciate 0