01-04-2024, 03:32 PM   #50
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Wow. You are quite the stalker. I have helped 100s of e9x and f8x owners with track suspension setups as well as helping with dialing in damping setting at the track remotely over the years via PMs, phone conversations and emails so rep points don’t always get counted. I’ve also helped quite a few owners with track brake and pad compound setups/issues as well as fine tune pad geometry with brake manufacturers. As for e9x vs f8x rotors, f8x rotors have a significantly improved pin interface design detail with the alum hat which allows more air to enter the vanes and cool the rotors. Sometimes the simplest design details go unnoticed for decades and then the lightbulb goes on. BMW has used the floating steel pin design since the e36 M3 generation yet a design improvement didn’t happen until the fifth generation of the same basic rotor design (used on e92 GTS with fixed calipers). It has absolutely nothing to do with advancing technology since the same manufacturing process was/is used on all of the different generations. It was a simple design feature implemented into the hat design that had absolutely nothing to do with advancing technology. As for the Audi 034 rotors, the same user had the same failures on the 2nd set of rotors 034 had replaced for free even after the owner switched from Ferodo DS2500 pads to CT XP12 pads yet, when he subsequently switched from 034 failed rotors to Girodisc rotors, there were no premature cracks developed on the Girodisc rotors (same driver, same car, same poor caliper design, same heavy front weight bias, same brake vectoring, etc. So this would suggest the rotors, and not the owner, is to blame for radial cracks developing between, and growing all the way thru to the free edge of, mounting tabs. Oh, there’s also been issues with pad radial ID interference with the 034 rotor ID and mounting hat - one of the features you had pointed out that happens on Girodisc rotors but not 034 rotors. Radial dimensions on pad backing plates vary from pad manufacturer to pad manufacturer. Be prepared to modify pads to avoid an interference with 034 rotors if you switch to other pad manufacturers.
You wanted to accuse me of my life's net worth being dependent on the forum without proof, I wanted to see how much time you spent on the forum to be able to make that accusation and all it took was one click on your profile to show what you said was simply projection. And we are supposed to believe you why? As far as being on the forum is concerned your rep points to post ratio speaks for itself.

When I said technology improves I meant braking technology as in the rotor itself not the processes - although machining and 3D printing has come along way. There's no doubt that there is an improvement in rotor design from the e9x to f8x, but the issue is you're saying it's a massive improvement. How do you know it's going to improve cooling that much? The mounting tabs are still the L style design that folds over from the hat into the friction ring and that still blocks a lot of air flow into the vanes and affect it's ability to act like a pump. So despite there being more potential flow into the hat, can it even be utilized especially with a ~36 vane count? So is that really going to be a massive upgrade. Then you said that 2 piece rotors like the 034 rotors wouldn't be able to provide much cooling or performance gain at all and it would be negligible to stopping brake fade. So if a 2 piece rotor with a higher vane count and a mounting system that allows the back side to be a lot more open to air flow is not going to do much, then how is a minor improvement to the hat a major upgrade? That's contradictory.

There are still so many confoubding variables. The Audi owner admitted he needed to improved and turn off traction control after the first rotor ring replacement. How do you know he didnt start to change his driving approach and cool down the rotors properly after his second set of rotor ring failures and 034's suggestion to him? How do you know he didn't realize maybe he was abusing the rotors and decided to do things differently after 2 entire rotors failed and he switched to girodisc. You're assuming the exact same use case but there's no guarantee it was. You also don't know if he was on the same track doing the same lap counts with the girodisc.

Where's your proof of pad issues? Sure pads vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but they're still going to be as close to OEM as possible. Most of that variation of going to be width to allow for expansion in the caliper. But at the end of the day the pot still cause for concern is the rotor hat and how close it gets to the pad, and that gap varies between rotor manufacturers, and so far from what I have seen there hasn't been any reports of the 034 rotors touching. Especially on bmw's. This means 034 likely has the rotor hags designed with enough gap to ensure that this issue would not be likely to occur.