View Single Post
      01-10-2024, 07:14 PM   #12
stoyanoff
Rep
Drives: m4 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
SYT_Shadow did an excellent job of describing the ownership of a M3/M4 as well as any other performance car (tend to go thru brakes and tires
more frequently than a non-performance car as well more frequent oil changes if you’re an enthusiast). As you correctly pointed out, you’ve replaced a lot of parts not common to failures as well as a few commonly known failures (e.g., PCV, TMIC if that’s the intercooler that failed, etc.) on the F8x. The only other common failure that you haven’t yet experienced are the diff bushings.

I don’t recall you listing the mileage the car had when purchased as well as its current mileage. F8x requires a greater level of routine and preventative maintenance than your average car, especially if you want it to last > 200k miles. Maintenance costs/year are higher for a BMW. Trading in/swapping F8x’s vs. keeping the one you have is a tough question to answer. Your current car could go the next 50k miles with just routine and preventative maintenance costs or, even worse, your newer MY replacement F8x could be an even worse money pit than the one you currently own. It’s a crapshoot either way. However, you’ve invested a significant amount into this car already so are you prepared to take the total loss of owning this car for a short period of time (maintenance & repair costs + loss due to depreciation of current car & taxes already paid + new taxes & cost delta of newer MY car)? Softening F8x market could hurt badly on the sell of your current car. Selling a convertible in the winter won’t be easy plus F83s don’t hold their value [...]
Mileage at purchase was 50k and now 63k
Appreciate 1