02-11-2024, 03:47 AM   #4
mbb2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 | '23 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
How many miles do you have on your Ohlins R&T? I’m asking because they need to be rebuilt every 25k miles, if you listen to Ohlins’ recommendation (practically speaking it’s more like 30-60k miles depending on how they’re used). Dampers do not need to be leaking to have failed. Does it make the noise with the steering wheel fixed; i.e., not turning? On a smooth surface? Do you hear the noise going over bumps or while in a corner? If you’re not turning the steering wheel and it’s on a smooth surface then it might not be the R&Ts. Dampers typically need movement of some kind (e.g., turning the strut, vertical motion of the strut/piston rod, etc.) to make noise. Have you checked the wheel bearings? Any signs of grease splatter (thin radial lines) on the back of the hub or other suspension parts around the hub?

The Ohlins maybe have about 5k miles and have done it since new. wheel bearings are still good, I have another set just in case. The noise happens when turning up until about 20 MPH but is fine when straight.
Appreciate 0