View Single Post
      02-23-2024, 02:58 PM   #7
CrazyFlame
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Probably a dumb question but is the road smooth? LOL. Does it happen on all roads?

What is your cold tire pressure? This car loves to tramline more than other cars.

When the vibration happens, are you accelerating or just rolling? Too much toe in can lead to some scrubbing feeling.
It's a good question. The roads vary widely because of construction and paving happening in the area, but I have driven on beautiful, newly paved roads and still experienced the issue.

The cold pressure is about 30 PSI for all four tires. The door jam label indicates that the cold tire pressure should be 32 PSI and I have identified the need to add a bit more air. I'm not sure if there's a different PSI suggestion for PS4S tires.

Normally I notice this when I'm cruising at a constant speed with low throttle input, especially 45mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Not normal at all. Ask them to drive with you in another car and prove that it is normal. Or just go to a different place.

As for the fix, you need to check not only balance and alignment but also wheels or tires being out of round. At the same time check for any loose suspension parts. This can be done with the wheels off the ground and trying to shake the wheel at different angles. Plenty of YouTube videos on this.

Last thing to cause a steering wheel shake would be a busted steering angle sensor or an issue with electric power steering. This is not likely because the shaking would be more pronounced than just a vibration.
I agree that I need to check for the things mentioned in your second paragraph. It's very suspicious to me that the issue started when the tires were changed, so I'm leaning towards the tires being out of round or some suspension component was damaged when they were changing the tires. I know they changed the tires hastily because they left a ton of mounting lubricant all over my wheels! It was tough to clean off.

I'm planning to having someone else look at the car on Wednesday and I will mention all these things. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.