View Single Post
      03-02-2024, 04:43 PM   #24
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I love your quantitative approaches to things -- yes, concern is coil bind. I can't confirm the fully-unloaded-at-full-droop question off top of my head, but I am running a helper which is what BW advised, so I presume the answer is yes.

No bump stops -- for reasons I don't fully understand, it seems this is par for the course with MCS setups around here (and again, BW says not needed)
My day job carries over into everything I do

In almost all cases, especially on 2/3/4WRs, coil bind occurs before max strut travel is reached. I looked at using a bump stop on my e92 M3 a while ago and it required a relatively long bump stop to get it to engage before coil bind. Thought about using bump stop shims but, at the time, I had trouble finding off-the-shelf bump stops for the MCS piston rod diameter and correct length so I dropped it. Some race shops do use bump stops with MCS dampers and it’s usually with short main springs with helper springs or tender springs. The advantage to a bump stop on a setup where the main spring binds first is to eliminate/minimize the impact load and the sudden loss of grip if coil bind occurs.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271126.50