03-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #61
Below Speed Limit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not sure where you are getting this from

From what I have read so far, the active sound technology used in the M3/4 is quite different than the one used in the M5/6. The latter uses pre-recorded sounds that are played back through the speakers. This is not the case for the F8X where it is the actual live sound of the engine that is amplified through the speakers. Since there is no pre-recorded track on the M4, how can it play the M5 sound?
From one of the guys who actually drive (or more so used to drive) the YMB prototype. This is also exactly why press isn't allowed to drive this car yet, because it wasn't ready. This is also why it was said that "BMW was working on the exhaust note" around Detroit auto show.

I know exactly how M3/M4's active sound works and how it's different than the M5/M6's system. Point is though, that new system isn't ready (or wasn't ready when these cars were built early this year/late last year), which is why these prototypes, including what you see on the video, has the fake M5 sound. Instead of having no sound (which I believe wasn't possible), they went with what was available to them at the time. Obviously the customer cars won't have this problem

I hope it's clear now
Appreciate 0