03-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #229
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
We can debate as long we want, until any official release we won't know 100 %. Apparently there are two sources, one could say the truth (V6), an other could hide it (I6), and again, one could talk BS (V6) just to get attention and be famous on the web, the other could know the real truth (I6) but have no proof and again one and an other could have a part of the truth and invent/speculate the rest.

What you said about 0.5 per cylinder completely wrong. It is the best compromise for sportiness (revs) and street usabilty (troque), but goes only for BMW AG cars and not BMW M cars. In fact the only M cars that have 0.5l per cylinder are the M3 E9X and M5/M6 E6X with their 4.0l V8 and 5.0l V10 and only the first generation M3 E36 before facelift with its 3.0l I6. If you want the 1 series M Coupé with its 3.0l I6, but it is not a true M engine, not because it is based on an AG engine, but because it is not really different and moddified. All other M cars had larger displacement engines, here the list just FYI:
M1 E26 / M5 E28 / M6 E224: 3.5l I6
M5 E34: 3.6-3.8l I6
M5 E39: 4.9l V8
M3 E30: 2.3l I4
M3 E36 / M3 E46 / Z3 M E36 / Z4 M E8X: 3.2l I6
M5 F10 / M6 F1X / X5/X6 M E7X: 4.4l V8
We can debate for ever until a release but there are some key facts that you are misrepresenting.

Most current, not old BMW products use the .5l per cylinder model. BMW stated this was the future as well (been to the presentation). The past is the past. The i8 sports a pretty outrageous 3 cylinder 1.5 l.CAR is being quoted as saying that inline 1.5 is 223hp in i8 efficient form using the new .5l engine matrix. The new four cylinder is 2.0, the six cylinders are 3l. The only engines not based on the .5l model is the 4.4 V8 (and V12) and that was designed prior to the engineering shift to scalability.

The new S63tü M5/M6 engine (it has done since the X5/X6) which shares the displacement with the base N63 which will get its valvetronic upgrade with the her LCI soon.

That is the new direction of M which is not different then the past as those other engines were (outside the S85 and S65) bored out cast iron blocks- can't really do that anymore as blocks are not cast iron and to become more efficient the distance between the cylinder wall and water jacket is minimal- they do not even use cylinder liners in the newer engines- they atomize molten iron by blowing it with inert gas around the honed walls. There is limited ability to add any increase in bore- can they add stroke- possibly but that would be less effective than adding more boost and redesigning the cylinder heads. M is in the business of taking what BMW AG produces to the next level- via turbo, via other NEW technologies...

BMW was able to use the M10 for ages and it went from 80hp in 1500 to 850hp in the Brabham BT52 F1 car- same block just different bore/stroke oh and boost- they used a twin scroll setup back in 1981. That block also was in the M1 and E30 M3. What is rare is for them to NOT use a base production block.

How wil they get a 3.3 liter? Lop two cylinder off the S63tü? Why not double the 1.5L in the i8 and get 446hp without having to do anything but switch the block to one based on the same matrix and add in some trick turbos....