Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
Really?

Let me give u a basic example

Infiniti Q60 red sport 400 hp
Mustang GT 420 hp
M3/4 425 hp

Would u agree based on hundreds of videos that m3/4 will roll by both cars above? And 5 hp difference with mustang is negligible

25 hp difference with Infiniti is so so, in videos you see the major difference

Now let me tell you about drivetrain and putting power to the ground...

And power delivery...
Physics are physics. For a given road speed, the car with the highest power to weight at that speed will out accelerate the other. Period. There is no way around this. Hence my statement.

Now, how the power is delivered over the entire power curve is crucial in assessing a car's performance, because if a car makes more power more of the time it will perform better. Torque figures don't mean much because you need to know the gearing to assess performance.

What makes things even more complex, is the standards that define how power rating are obtained. With the avenue of modern turbocharged engines that can produce significantly more power when accelerating than when in steady state, the SAE have recently allowed manufacturers to take advantage of this when obtaining their power ratings. The SAE however leave it up to the manufacturers to chose whatever method they want, transient or steady state. Because of this, it now makes it very difficult to compare power rating between manufacturers or between NA and FI engines. Most European manufacturers choose the steady state method, hence why folks often believe that they are "under rated".

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0