03-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
...unless I could order it from EU.
I am 100% sure that you can do just that. It will be a non-issue.

Quote:
I would love to hear ONE single good reason for a company to not provide an armrest slider to America. I mean cost savings? Ok well make it a paid option.
It is important to understand how manufacturing and economies of scale work in order to keep things in proper perspective. In short, the more ways that your car is just like everyone else's, the cheaper it is to build any particular car. Generally speaking, any time you add a variation to the produciton process you increase costs. It may not be by much, but each little option or feature adds up. You want your sliding armrest, Joe Schmoe wants a fancier foot rest, and Sandy wants a latte warmer and makeup applicator. Pretty soon you've added another 5% to the costs which must be passed on to the consumer. Our limited option list here in North America is at least in some part responsible for the fact that we have some of the least (if not the very least) expensive car prices in the world.

Quote:
... I like to cruise on the freeway with both hands on the wheel and elbows resting on the left armrest on the door and the right armrest slider. Without the slider my elbow would not be able to sit there and keep my hand on the wheel
Speaking of bizarre, that's peculiar indeed, at least in my experience. Perhaps there is something about living and driving in the big city on a day to day basis that tends to cause one to adapt their driving posture and habits in ways that I cannot comprehend (that is, assuming you live in or near NYC as your screen name would suggest). At any rate, I would venture to guess that the manner in which you drive is somewhat atypical, and that it may very well be that precious few Americans are therefore demanding the sliding armrest feature be made optional in their cars. That's just my theory though.
Appreciate 0