10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #191
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
That appears to be a race and some simulation for a modded 1M vs. the M3 (coincidentally in the wrong starting gear...). I fail to see the relevance...

Pete vB also claims to be using "actual dynos" for his charts. Again mostly bunk. If different dyno result give you spreads of 20-30 hp which is the right answer? Really which is right? The right answer is that dynos are simply NOT GOOD for absolute results. Under very carefully controlled circumstances they may be good for A-B comparisons. I know here's another idea, pick the best dyno run for the 1M and the worst for the M3 and viola you can bench race the 1M right into victory...

A figure of 360 rwhp for the M3 is quoted in one of these posts. RRI.se finds it at 376 hp. Please have a look at this tester and testing. It is the benchmark for truly OEM level of absolute testing accuracy. The real world performance of the 1M is consistent with about 350-360 crank hp (under rated indeed) which is probably about 305-315 rwhp. Again a 60 hp difference. The 1M makes up for part of that with its lower weight but it can not make up for all of it.

Again, real world testing as well as simulation and spreadsheets agree. It is a drivers race at low speeds but the M3 is decidedly faster at higher speeds. The reason the cars are close is because their peak power to weight ratios are close.

Time to end this "brief" segue and get back on the main topic???

P.S. Just to be clear, most if not all of my discussion here about the 1M vs. M3 is assuming M3 with M-DCT which indeed is a big advantage. Putting a MT M3 vs. the 1M makes things even more of a drivers race into higher speeds.
Fair enough
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0