View Single Post
      06-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #21
KAZ
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Couple of things...

First, it's a fanboy site, what do you expect?

Second, I'm not comparing it to GT3s, GT-Rs, and exotics.

I will say it's more of an improvement on track vs. the E9x than I imagined. Time will tell, but I think you're going to be hard pressed to find anything at this price point with 4 real seats that's this capable out of the box on track.

By the way, he wasn't doing 9/10ths for most of the session. He was getting the most out of it. The PSS's started to get a little greasy after about 15 minutes and he backed it down. He's a very skilled driver and probably has a lot of seat time in this car by now.
That's a spot on observation of the PSS's, they are great street tires, on the track at 7/10 they'll stay constant all day, at 9/10 or faster 10-15 mins is all they'll have before they get greasy.

I'm not going to shy away from the exotics for critics, I love GT3s, but i am willing to bet an average driver in a GT3 is going to get smoked by an experienced driver in the M4. A 997.1 GT3 weighs about 3200 lbs with 415 hp, the M4 weighs a bit more but also has a bit more hp/torque. From my experience driving any rear-engine car fast is more difficult than any of the last two M3 generations at 9/10. Given both cars current prices it'd be an interesting track comparison and it'll show the M cars progress over the last decade. Now, steering feel, driving reward, sound, etc. is a whole other discussion and I'd be very surprised if the new M3/M4 tops the GT3 in any of those categories. The M3/4 response to that is comfort, luxury, economy, and backseats. A tradeoff, but performance should be close.
Appreciate 0