Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
Basically, some of you guys are saying there is no point in ever publishing a lap time at all

Because we don't know density altitude, driver, track temp, tire temp, engine coolant temp, ambient temp, relative cloud cover, tire tread depth and condition, tire pressures, alignment settings (have they slipped slightly after having been driven by several journalists), fuel quality, spark plug gap, long term fuel trims, oxygen sensor calibration and the relative position of the moon.

In the end, most of the noise averages out and the lap times published by a competent journalist are likely c/w with what most journalist and typical advanced DE drivers would run under most conditions most of the time +/-1 sec. (Assuming it's dry. Most publications will note if times are run under non-dry conditions.

I spend A LOT of time at the track.

If a the lap times for two cars driven in dry conditions by a competent journalist are with in +/-1 sec, then the cars can be considered roughly equal.

The e92 M3 Comp/DCT will be very close to the M4. The M4 will be faster but the gains will be small.

Keep in mind that the current PSS is better than what came on the e92.
No, what we're saying is that the times on Fastestlaps.com don't provide any of the information you're assuming.

Here's a simple question: how do you explain the 2s difference between the E90 and E92 in their results? Once you explain that, point out how we're supposed to know that from their list.

Quote:
In the end, most of the noise averages out and the lap times published by a competent journalist are likely c/w with what most journalist and typical advanced DE drivers would run under most conditions most of the time +/-1 sec.
Agree 100%. I'm not saying lap times are useless, I'm saying that everyone should pause before drawing broad conclusions using a single lap time.
I think one was DCT and one was non DCT, should help explain discrepancies. Besides the E9X M3 isn't the only one on the list that has different times. Look up and down and you will see same model with lap times. Like you said diff drivers, weather and possibly DCT. In the end it put down those numbers. So what if the current and new cars made similar times. Some are too numbers obsessed, just enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 0