SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlestylez View Post
I'm not a mechanic or anything, so what do you mean by balance? I did some research and V6 engines have certain parts to keep the cylinder fire to balance, just like an I6. But I really still don't know what that means.
Start with this Wikipedia article on Straight engines then click to read specifically about Straight Six engines (aka Inline Six or I6).

Then read this Wikipedia article on V Engines then click to read specifically about V-8 and V-6 engines. V engines can also have different angles between the cylinder banks which affects their design.

In a nutshell, an I6 engine is a naturally balanced engine because of the crankshaft angles and the firing order. If an engine is not naturally balanced then counter balance shafts and other means anti-vibration means can be used to balance the engine which of course adds weight and complexity. Different engine configurations have different pluses and minuses.

Appreciate 0