dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I still read the same thing...

You are clearly a "DCT hater" (I am not intending this in an insulting manner) and you will build any rational argument to justify your emotions. You love rowing your own gears and using your foot to clutch. Nothing wrong with that and I can relate to it. My wife and I are presently in mourning because out last 6MT will be gone soon replaced by another dual clutch.
And no - I'm not a DCT hater. Believe it or not, I wanted to design and build something not dissimilar back in the 80s - basically wanted an electrically operated clutch, and solenoids/stepper motors to change gears. Also wanted to implement an electric turbo to reduce lag. Wanted to get an SMG when they came out, but back then I was in the cheaper BMWs and couldn't afford an M.

I do like rowing my own gears, but also like the idea of the paddle shift. However, I don't like the idea of the paddle shift if I know it will annoy me when I use it in auto mode - that's half the point of having it is that you can use it in auto mode when you want to. But if it's going to irritate me when doing so, I don't want one as I do not see the point of using it in manual mode 100% of the time when I could have a real manual. If I could use it in manual mode 50% of the time and in auto mode 50% of the time provided it didn't annoy me, I'd probably be happy with one. I drove one 4 or 5 times before ordering a 6MT - probably because on the last drive it chopped down when it didn't need to.
Appreciate 1