12-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #107
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
I guess if it excites you to put a sports sedan in drive and step on the gas or have a computer actually do manual shifts for you to make spirited driving less complex, then the Dct is for you.
Not so quick...

Please consider the following thought experiment. First, as I'm sure you know, when in manual "S" mode a DCT does no shifts except downshifts to prevent the car from stalling. All other upshifts and downshifts are 100% at the drivers full manual control.

Now here is the real thought experiment. Imagine a special M-DCT transmission where the pulling of the paddle operates the clutch (clutches) and the letting go of the paddle is what moves the shift mechanism. That's a bit inconsistent with the actual dual clutch functionality but that detail is really nor relevant to this point. One can easily argue that this is nearly identical to ones foot operating the clutch pedal and arm rowing the gear shift lever. Yes, smaller movements required, yes fingers only required (not an arm and a leg) and perhaps the loss of some (most unnecessary) control, but in essence it is the same thing.

Personally I prefer to have additional mental "bandwidth" dedicated to tasks that humans do better than computers such as all of the calculations and coordination to pull off perfect high speed cornering, right on the best line, right at the limit of traction.

Flailing my arm and leg around to me, not really all that exciting nor rewarding. I honestly get joy from realizing the speed, harmony and technical achievement of every single perfect DCT shift and perfect rev matched downshift as well. Sure there are some "fun" aspects to a MT, I've been raised on them since my first car and had one in every car except my current one. I've spent some time on the track with MTs as well. There is simply no going back for me.

Have you driven a M-DCT M3 (or equivalently sporty car with true DCT) at full clip, using both automatic and manual modes, in a straight line and around some curves as well?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0