View Single Post
      05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #37
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Sorry if I seemed hostile, this is just a pretty simple issue. Of course we're speculating, BMW won't build another small displacement V8. They've done it numerous times in the past, but I suspect the S65 will be the smallest V8 they build for the next decade or more.

I'm a huge fan of unique motors, but the I6 is plenty unique these days and more tied to BMW than a V8.

However, the aluminum block 4.0l S65 was lighter than the iron block 3.2l S54b32, so that was an example of the M folks taking advantage of a good opportunity to up their game with natural aspiration. The E9x cars, while heavy and complex are pretty impressive track machines, and sound glorious.

I can see why you'd be interested in a continuation of the V8 character, but emissions, complexity and available engine designs just made the I6 decision that much easier. I was trying to point out that the inherent lack of balance in a V8 will make it heavier than an I6 if constructed with similar designs, meaning that the crankshaft will have to be heavier, the extra valves, plugs, etc will also more than offset any gains from lighter pistons and con rods.

It's a neat idea, I'd love it if BMW wasn't in the game of making money and could build a great, small displacement V8 for an actual sports car like the Z2. I'm not a fan of turbos in M cars, but at the same time, the horrific efficiency of the S65 kept me from buying an E90, I just can't personally own a car that gets such poor mileage. So hopefully the F8x cars address that and continue to move the M brand forward, there's a lot riding on this, as each generation of M3 has sold more in proportion to the "regular", non M cars.
Appreciate 0