10-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #171
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This is not the whole truth and it is misleading. You obviously have no real idea of what 1M is capable of. At least, if you check reliable dyno charts of both cars and listen to people who actually own both you will see that from idle to around 6200 rpm a stock 1M not only produces more torque but also more hp than a stock E9X M3. This fact combined with its lower weight results in a noticeably quicker car in every condition other than a drag race on a very long straight, where the M3 will catch and pass but only after 1Ms third gear ends which is around 180 km/h, not before. After that point M3 pulls away slowly due to higher top end power and better aeordynamics.

So in order to own a 1M the M3 has to be in a very high rpm point while the 1M should be either very low down or too high up. Only a moron would drive the 1M like that.

And we are not even talking about in-gear acceleration which is imo more important than any other performance category unless you reside around Autobahn. There, we can't even make a comparison, whole different level.

I would say it is the opposite of what you say; the 1M has to be in a wrong gear, a very wrong one to stay behind a M3 (which in turn has to stay over 6500, even 7000 rpm all the time in order to have some advantage), I mean anywhere but on a track with long straights and German highways.
Well the whole truth is still absolutely that crank torque is utterly meaningless and that (peak) power to weight is the single best predictor of vehicle performance.

Comparable testing (say Motortrend) shows the cars very close to 60 and after that the M3 will win any contest. To 100 the M3 bests the 1M by about 0.7 seconds. That's big. That appears to be entirely inconsistent with your claims. By the way yes I have driven and driven hard the 1M, but no I don't own one. Not that one has to drive or own a car to understand its performance...

Official dynos from BMW show the 1M making the same power up to about 2000 rpm then the M3 leads all the way from there out. Although BMW has been known to under rate... Generally speaking I trust dynos about as far as I can throw one. I trust RRI.se for "real" dyno testing... and unfortunately they have not tested the 1M.

Could this be a case of the overboost making the differences vs. official dynos?

If by "real world" you mean accelerating the cars in improper gears then yes the 1M will have an advantage. I think you misunderstood that about my last post. "Daily driving" to some inherently means lugging the engine in the wrong gear for actually getting the best performance. With DCT especially there is no need to do so (heck there is not a really a reason to do this with a 6MT either). Get the revs way up in the M3, the power goes way up and it out accelerates the 1M due to its better power to weight ratio, simple. Regardless of which gear the 1M uses, if both cars use the best gear for each one the M3 will win. If both cars use the wrong gear (or the M3 uses the wrong gear and the 1M uses the right gear) at low rpm and/or stay in that single gear, yes the 1M can win such a contest. It does so because it can make more power at low rpms than the M3!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0