10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #172
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
There is not that much hp difference between the two cars, less than what BMW says (in fact it is around 360 against 410 or so), but there actually is an even bigger gap of torque (around 400 nm to around 550 nm or more) than official numbers say and it just works with the 1M.
Well if you call 50+ hp "not that much" then yes, not that much... 360 hp sounds reasonable and that makes the 1M about 5% lower in power to weight than the M3 and that is ENTIRELY consistent with the way the cars perform. The light weight of the 1M can give it a win on slower/tighter tracks. As I've stated many times lower weight is preferable to me rather than more power as a way to improve power to weight ratio.

Quote:
And fastest.laps or M driving school! Please, we both can do better than that.
What are your better sources? "A bunch of European tests" or whatever you said?

Quote:
M3 lovers (not you, don't get me wrong, merely the M3 fundamentalists) need to drop their superiority reflexes as soon as possible if they want to continue buying M cars because BMW wants the next M3 a la 1M. There is no other way of putting it and this is the bottomline for everyone who will be in the market. You are free to not like it as much as you want but it is already happening.
Why do you think there is so much discussion on both 1M vs. M3 and the new M3/4? BMW is dropping their hallmark, long term, pervasive engine philosophy in favor of the cheapest approach. Is that something to be proud of? Does it mean the 1M's N55 is a better engine than the S65? I still think the M3/4 is likely to be a class leader, but competitors are absolutely catching or exceeding BMW (even with solid rear axles!). Competitors are drastically improving handling and continuing the hp war. The M5 really is not the hands down class leader any longer and that is unfortunate. Let's hope the M3/4 can do better.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 10-05-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0