View Single Post
      10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Let's look past the numbers and performance predictors. I'm in my 9th BMW, all new, the recent three of which have been first-model-year cars. There's good news and bad news.

The bad is that first-model-year cars may have hidden flaws that will be washed out in later model runs. The N54s HPFP issue is an example; the delaminating Corvette top another. But usually these are minor/livable and the fix forthcoming and covered by warranty.

Here's the good news: in addition to the upgrades in power etc., a new-model-year car brings in the latest BMW technology from across its fleet. iDrive moves to the latest generation. The HUD in the M3 shuld go forward to the wonderful HUD in the M5 and not just cycle forward that of the 335i. Better Bluetooth, better handling of digital technology across the board, better seats, better interior, better run-flats, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, for all but a few hard-case owners, your M3 is going to be a daily driver and a family car (or whatever passes for a family in your case). The go-fast/handle-great aspects are nice to have and nice to kick in now and again, but on real roads in real driving for the real world we live in, the tech and comfort goodies probably make our driving experience better than the go-fast stuff. New models have the maximum new content and with BMW, it just gets better and better all the time.

Buy to have a great track car. Own to have a great car.
Good post, especially with regard to dispelling the notion that 1st MY cars are inherently unreliable. They are not. . And I would also add it amuses me when people wait for the minor changes of an LCI car, why not just wait and get the F100 2020 model year?
Appreciate 0