captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransporterG View Post
Agreed. Not much to argue--it is all about the community one relates to.

Some people think Rolex's are the apex of watch ownership--and in whatever community he or she comes from, perhaps it is. In others, or within communities that know mechanical watches well, a Rolex is an entry-level, aspirational brand like Coach handbags, and certainly no super-watch in a world of highly sophisticated and numbered watches. Same for both the M and BMW.

With cars, watches and many other things, stereo equipment for example as the price escalates improvements generally do not go at the same rate. You eventually reach a point where you are paying a lot more money for something that a little bit better and in some ways may not be as good.

One thing I learned from my career in retail sales is that there is a market for the most expensive example of any product based on that alone. People tend to perceive "quality" by the price tag or by the brand. As an example I would bet that if BMW figured out that they could reduce the price of a Rolls Royce to $85,000 and keep the car identical to what it is today they would probably sell a lot more of them but to an entirely different market, The current Rolls Royce customers would abandon the brand and continue to purchase $300,000+ cars from other manufacturers as the Rolls Royce brand would have lost its desirability to them.

Where I am going with all of this is that one of the things that makes a car a supercar is exclusivity which means mass produced cars are excluded from the category regardless of how well they perform.

If an M3 could get around a track faster than a Pagoni they Pagoni would still qualify as a supercar and the M3 would not although the M3 would, and does, qualify as a high performance car.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-02-2017 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 7
mkoesel7508.50
DrtyJrze707.00
SakhirM410783.00
GrussGott18116.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
stormlv930.50
jmg18657.00