06-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #86
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Hi there!

I am the one Dackelone mentioned in his last post. I grew up and still live in that area. With my passion for cars starting at a very young age, I was always searching for the best roads around town.

So with that being said, let me get into more detail about the trip:

Depending on how much time you have, I have a very good recommendation for a day-trip.

You are starting out in Johannisberg, Rheingau area. You can have a look at the famous Schloss Johannisberg, which is famous for it's wine and long tradition. From there, you will drive through a forest all the way to Lorch, which has the first (but short) great driving road. From Lorch, you will drive the famous Wisperstrasse to Geroldstein, Heidenrod and all the way up to Katzenelnbogen. After that you drive to Obernhof and then the Gelbachtal begins all the way to Montabaur (make sure to have Weinähr and Bladernheim in the nav, otherwise it could lead you around on a more "convenient" road). Then drive all the way down to Nassau and then to St Goarshausen. You can then choose to drive the famous route on the rhine all the way back to Wiesbaden, or you can drive through Nastätten and then Bad Schwalbach - thats up to you.
This looks like a great day trip. Exactly what I'm looking for. Time is not my problem. KMs might be. It is quite expensive to rent these cars and any additional km costs a few euros (depending on the car).

Quote:
Let me know your preferences - more driving roads or more sightseeing in nice small places? If the second applies, we have to change it a bit.
Driving only!! Sight seeings are being saved for other type of trips. This one would be of cars only.

Quote:
Please make sure that you always stick to the speed limit in the small villages (30 or 50), as they have some radar controls here and there. Other than that, the roads should be pretty free and you should only witness a few other enthusiasts, motorbikes or sometimes a tractor
I'm driving in a country which I do not know the rules good enough with a car I have no experience with. Believe me, inside towns/villages I'm driving like a 90 years old grandfather.

Quote:
Here is the route, make sure to have "avoid Autobahn" active all the time:

I have to split the route after St Goarshausen because of the max. destination restriction from Google. You can see the two different options going back to Wiesbaden (which is worth a visit).
Thanks a lot for saving me the time to create the links myself.
As much a s I know, the limitation is not about the destination but about how many stops you're adding to your drive.

Quote:
I can highly recommend visit Klassikstadt in Frankfurt as well. There is a McLaren and Lamborghini dealership inside and there are plenty of classic and really exotic cars (Ferrari FXX (he might have upgraded to the fast LaFerrari version), 3.0 CSL Batmobile, 599 GTO, M3 CSL, BMW 507, Lamborghini Countach etc.). They have a restaurant which offers some good snacks.
As I have replied to Dackelone, this might be a good idea to visit there.

Quote:
If you want some company, hit me up. I might join in with my M2
I'm actually a loner. Usually prefer to drive on my own.
I have a few problems while driving in Germany. First, I don't know the rented car well enough (which you can't help me with). Second, I don't know the roads and rules well enough (which you can help me a lot with while leading). In that case, it might be a good idea to join forces with a local guy
It is 3 months ahead but I might send you a pm when I'll get there (at least two days before).

Thanks a lot for offering!! This is very kind of you.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10588.50
eau_rouge515.50