02-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #207
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
All of you torque folks really grate on me (and on other clued up enthusiasts as well).

More torque is fine, nothing wrong with it, however, it does next to nothing for actually making a car faster. Isn't that what most of us actually care about (or profess to care about). Torque is great for mashing the throttle in 7th gear (maybe 8th in the new M3/M4) at 50 mph, but in REAL contests, when choosing the best gear possible to maximize acceleration, hp is the single figure that matters, pretty well totally independent of torque (well again technically power to weight ratio... but POWER not torque).

I don't give a single rats ass about how much more or how much total torque the car will make, neither should any true M enthusiast.
+10

All old M3 didnīt have the highest torque numbers but were faster than nearly all competitors ... torque numbers are important for petrol cars and for drivers who donīt like changing the gear.

According to my last informations its simply not so important, which engine with which specs would make it into the M3/M4, to make the F8x the "best M3 ever" and much better than all precessors, simply because they reached an empty weight of the car in the range of < 1.500kg (< 3.300lbs).With this low weight and ~415hp the M3/M4 will be dominant over all today an tomorow competitors ... but I will not except that because of the great reached weight reduction BMW think the cheapest possible engine would be enough !!!
Appreciate 0