View Single Post
      06-17-2023, 03:57 PM   #52
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Positive power from battery to amp done next.

The Mobridge has a 6awg / 16mm2 gauge power cable lead. It just needs a power feed from battery.

My goal this run have main fuse within 30 centimetres of the battery terminal which is best practice , have the installation so battery can be serviced.

I tend to overprotect the cable which was learnings from a colleague install where he ran a slightly undersized cable and fuse at a point where the cable run was up against the body. The wire insulation melted and welded itself to chassis.The battery top melted with the current. But he managed to get the terminals off. Very close to loosing his car.

For the cable run a quick calculation that at the amps 1100 watts rms point 6 awg run would be ok routed via the back pannel of the trunk ( less than 7 feet ) . At around 11 feet 4 awg would be a better choice but only needed if routing cable via rear fusebox. My target was to ensure voltage drop doesn’t get below 3%.

I ended up using 4awg cable for the run as I had some spare from a previous installation.
I wrapped in in a plastic conduit to further protect the cable insulation and used nylon wrap at each end as it’s a bit more flexible where the cable needs to end.

Fuse location by side of battery so mounted it on a bit of painted MDF wood and shaped it so the battery stay looks it into place.

For battery termination I couldn’t get any 25mm2 / 6.4mm 90 degree lugs so bent an terminal so it can piggy back and drop straight down at the battery terminal. That way the power cable can be better routed and kept away from the ibs terminal function

At the amp end I used a 4awg screw down joiner as couldn’t get a 4awg to 6awg crimp reducer. I put a copper ferrule on the 6awg lead to ensure maximum contact.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0