05-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #172
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And don't you think BMW took that into consideration when developing the S63 ? And you're right about a 'different' kind of V6 if that's the case. For one, it'd be a 90º, which is rare, to make it cost effective (derived from the S63). And as far as 'balancing', I'm not sure on a 90º V6 if it's possible with crank counterweights alone (which is the case with 60º V6s). It might, but it'd depend on displacement and rev limit. It'll be interesting to see what BMW comes up with, but my money is on an I6. We'll know soon enough. It's very likely the new engine is already in testing with current M3s, so nobody would notice. Have a good one.
Yes indeed they may have cleverly thought out the "trimming" operation and what balancing requirements might be required for a V6 derived from this V8. Although you can get by with no balancing on a 60º V6 you can't really on a 90º V6 (at least in a road car). And of course by "balancing" I mean dedicated balancing, not that on the crankshaft itself which every car has. Also a 60º V6 would require either massive modifications or an entirely different production line compared to the one making a 90º V8. Thus I highly doubt a 60º V6.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0