03-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #33
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
As far as I can tell, without changing functionality, exhaust is the best area in which substantial weight can be shaved while improving other functionality - albeit at cost. I haven't been following too many exhaust threads, but I'm sure a straight-pipe w/ resonator and at least one set of cats would yield a balanced result (though it might sound like crap).

The stock front seats no longer weight alot and replacing them would alter the airbag system.

Stock wheels are light.

Stock battery is light.

Roof, hood, trunk - light.

OEM struts - as far as I know on the adaptive suspension at least they are aluminum bodied, and thus I doubt much weight savings are going to be had in the suspension.

BMW did an outstanding job SHOWING the enthusiast community just how hard it is to get lighter yet maintain OEM reliability and functionality and a good everyday driving experience.

Lastly, if someone is truly going with a lightweight model and making some sacrifices, do your thing and then corner weight it.
Yeah, I agree on the exhaust being the lowest hanging fruit. The thing is though that it is coming mostly out of the rear of the car so I suspect you are adding more front weight bias in the process.

Would be nice if there was a way to offset that in the front. So you could do a muffler delete and then shave weight in the front to keep it to stock weight distro...but I'm skeptical that there is enough weight in the front to shave to offset 20-40lbs or more on a serious exhaust weight savings.
Appreciate 0