05-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #160
cged14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
no kidding.

It amazes me. I remember reading some of the same type of debate about the 1M, how it would not be a true M car because it doesn't have a "bespoke" engine, it's a "parts bin" car, yadda, yadda. Now look what people are saying.

"Instant classic".

"Most fun car in BMW's lineup".

"Total riot".

Etc.

Sure, people will always bitch and moan, I get that. But have a little perspective. People said the same thing about the F10 M5. OMG turbo M5, no way, V10 rulez yo, yadda, yadda. Now Top Gear calls it the "Best car on sale today".

E9X M3 - amazing car.
E60 M5 - amazing car.

They are the last of the breed....super high specific output naturally aspirated engines. But that breed of engine is dying.

Indycar - N/A V8 engines in 2011, turbo V6's in 2012
F1 - N/A V12 to N/A V10 to N/A V8 to turbo V6 in 2013.

See a trend here?

I am very much looking forward to the F80 M3. I like my current F10 535, but it is a bit aloof, even with all the sport goodies on it. The F30 has enough room for my family of 4 whereas the E90 simply did not. I don't plan on tracking my car, it's a daily driver. I drive in a monumental amount of traffic and usually can't get the car higher than 50 MPH without risking a ticket. For me, the new torque infused M3 will be perfect.

Will I miss the E9x M3? Yes. It will be a classic, and one I wish I had more seat time in. But I have a feeling BMW won't let us down with the F80....
agreed. M division can't afford to make a worse product, especially with the new C63 AMG, IS-F and RS5 breathing down the neck of the E9x M3. and additive: aren't turbo 4's coming back to F1 in 2013?
Appreciate 0