View Single Post
      08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #162
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Well people I have conversed with @ M. Have driven the car against its Audi and Mercedes-Benz competitors. I have driven the Audi RS5 and there is nothing behind the wheel , its completely numb.
The benchmark was of course the E92 because there is a car that does everything expected of it. But they have also benchmarked the Porsche 911 in certain areas. But the focus for M is the reduction of weight in the standard car , which is significant for this segment. There is performance of course its an M. But again with an M you have to offer that perfect balance of driving communication , precision and performance. And the M4 is that car.

The thing you have to look at overall is that if the standard car has a significant weight reduction... For future performance models , again M4 will adopt the 911 model in further models increasing performance and losing weight through further variants. How light can they go...
BMW now have the means to do so and that is certainly something that stands as it has since 2003 above the competition when BMW M took the expensive risk and implemented CFRP with the M3 CSL.

And the BMWi investment in mass volume CFRP shows that M cars and of course BMWs can have a light and very interesting future.
One of our competitors has told the German media or admitted that they are a few years from a mass produced CFRP bodied volume car like the BMW i3 and BMW i8 and now look where BMW is in this field of innovation.

When you look at the M4 its possibilities and potential all comes back to the BMW i3.
That's sweet music to my ears.
Appreciate 0