03-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #36
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Genuine question: Where is the belief that if you take a car with a 50/50 weight bias and do nothing but remove rear weight that this is somehow a negative?

AFAIK, a car with a 52/48 weight bias that is 50 pounds lighter in the rear than a 50/50 weight bias that's 50 pounds heavier....the lighter car is still the superior performer in all respects.
I don't agree with this Joe. Not each pound is of same value. Removing weight from the rear of a car with a 52f/48r weight distribution will make things worse. 50 lbs total removed is not a positive move if it reduces traction from the driven wheels. Without traction, nimbleness has no value, or being able to move the less weight with same power won't result in increased performance again if you are compromising traction.

I admit what I wrote above is utter useless without data, but simple tests can show the difference by just adjusting the rear track width and doing skid pad and straight line testing. The differences will be in the millisecs with those tests, but enough to prove the theory. I personally would prefer to add 50 lbs to the car if I can on the rear axle than take it off, and I believe that is what Swift is trying to do as well with their springs with staggered lowering heights when they release them.
Appreciate 0