View Single Post
      11-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks SCOTT - that makes a lot of sense to me.

I am looking forward to all of the upcoming M debuts. The M6 is going to be outrageous in both coupe and cab form, and the 550d will be an interesting twist on things to say the least (I do wish BMW or M would build a diesel V8 to succeed the M67 though).

The F80 M3 is going to be exciting too. How 'bout do something fun and build an F81 M3 concept along side the sedan?
Yes we are about a month or so - give or take a couple of days from the M6 reveal. Sales wont begin to late summer though.
The M550d will be revealed @ Geneva in March.

The issue regarding a V8 is you can do something similar with the six cylinder in terms of power and performance and be more efficient.

We are trying to convince BMW on the Tourings. There are on the table proposals for both an M3 and an M5. The M5 for example was never expected to be a huge seller it was purely conceived as a "weekend toy". It was a car that done all the stuff on the weekend but more rapid.

The 550d Touring will semi-replace the M5 but there will be people looking for that extra something. I think BMW are waiting to see how well the 550d Touring performs on the market and how the Audi RS6 Avant is received before giving a green light. The car has been developed as a prototype and given the thumbs-up in terms of the overall concept but no green-light for production.