05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #163
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
+1
People who think FI is inferior to NA engines need to get with it. If you think FI isn't as good as NA than think about F1 and the turbo era. The turbo engines dominated the F1 until it was banned. The most powerful engines in formula 1 ever was either the Honda or BMW turbo engines pumping out 1500hp.

With the new engines and basically elimination of turbo lag I don't see what the complaint is about. Sound? So some of you rather have a better sounding car than a better performing car? With the turbo engines proving itself on the F1 circuit back in the 80's the questions about it's performance should be put to sleep.
I think it is about time BMW M division went to FI engines.
I can see the point. No matter what tricks the manufacturers play, there will always be lag. Even BMW has acknowledged this. I forget where I read it (I read too much BMW news) but the head of //M said, paraphrasing, "we know we can't completely eliminate lag, so we focus on eliminating the way it would ruin a driving experience." So they make an engine that will be ultra responsive when you're caning on it, but there are still times you will catch it off boost.

F1 turbo engines were monsters - with the most wicked turbo lag in existence. Talk about "wait....wait....wait....BOOM!", nothing defined it more. They had a powerband of about 1,500 RPM out of ten times that and were very difficult to drive. And they blew up all the time. But they were fun.

Also, i can see the appeal of revving the nuts off a car. My wife's car is an MDX with respectable power. When i drive it, it's very different than my turbo 535. I can tell the response is sharper, I can also tell that it's weak in the low down and needs to rev. That engine is a gem. Even with SOHC, it LOVES to rev. When the cams change, the flap in the intake opens up at 4,500 RPM and it just HOWLS. Whereas the progress up the rev counter was steady, when the cam change hits, I tell people it's like a magnet got turned on at the redline and the needle is sucked over to the red. The more you rev it, the happier it is. Same with the M3's engine.

But times are what they are and everyone must adapt. I have no doubt that BMW will pull off a corker.
Appreciate 0