04-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
My understanding is that the e-Quattro system will use electric motors to drive the rear wheels, not the front wheels. That makes the most sense to me given that it eliminates the driveshaft and supporting hardware which will be needed to offset the weight of the batteries and other hybrid-related systems. I suppose they could do it the other way around for performance models, but it doesn't strike me as very likely. I would say that a traditional, non-electric AWD system instead of e-Quattro is probably the better bet for an RS model.
Yup, I read this was the approach for the A4 and agree with all of your assessments. But the S4/S5 will retain the V6, so there's no way they don't drive the rear wheels with the engine, but you're probably right about using the current crown center quattro AWD system. Guess I'm just building up false hope

Also - Audi doesn't need to worry about added weight in the back, car is too nose heavy as it is. I do think they moved the front axle further forward on MLB which should help a lot.