07-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #123
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I'm not sure why there is such speculation anymore. I think it is actually pretty clear what the engine will be with enough hints by now.

Inline 6 similar 3L design to N55 roughly

1 electric turbo and 2 regular turbos-this is absolutely a must and 100 percent going to happen. Evidence is the fact by inventing the amazing S63 engine design to incorporate turbo's into the V to purposefully address the "lag" you know they are very aware of this issue. Since you cannot do that same design with an inline 6 (obviously) the only other option is to use an electric turbo to offer NA-like throttle response that they have already proved is important to them enough to design a whole engine around it in the N/S63.

2.7200-7400 RPM redline. Again evidenced by the 7200 redline in the M5 shows they recognize the importance of a "relatively" high revving M powerplant with a linear power curve and NA-like power curve that is linear and both strong down-low but nice and strong uptop for the race-track

3.Will have next generation valvetronic allowing the higher redline and linear power curve in the context of a turbo engine

4. Will make 450-475 hp and 400 foot pounds

What is left to wonder about?
You are right with this probably worst case scenario ... and BMW marketing make this to an unique and special engine worth the Myth of all former M engines.

Re-inforcing the block, add an bigger turbo system and install an newer valvetronic isn´t that difference what I quote "heavily redesigned".

Installing the eTurbo to generate an N/A feeling is an not M worthy aproach, if the N/A feeling come only from the eTurbo and an clever electronic and not from great and innovative turbo design like the S63Tü ... and has nothing to do with the great engine development of BMW M until now.
For me an M needs an great engine by great development and not an AG mass production engine on which electronics made him feel like an great engine. Being is not the same as just feeling !!!

Greets Uli_HH
Appreciate 0