Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
If you want perspective, here's something to add posted by Jason in February 2008.
It's also something for the apologists whining about the F82 being compared to the 991S.

The E92 is compared to the 911 Turbo, the Nissan GT-R and the Audi R8.
Pretty unfair huh? Well it gets a 2nd place and overall best motor and track entertainment...
This is what BMW has spoilt us with in the past so fair or not the expectations on an M3 is high.

Personally I find this notion that 'it's happened before so it's ok" to be, well pathetic to be honest.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409
Whoooooaaaah.

Easy there....I think you are missing my point a bit.

Nobody is saying "its happened before so it is ok". At least that is not what I am saying. I am saying this angst happened before at the same point and it turned out fine. So before people condemn the new car based only on first drive reviews, lets get some time and history behind us because right now lots of folks are doing just that without anyone here having actually driven the car. Until then, we are just as guilty as those who thought the sky was falling when those E90 reviews came out (which many did).

Thanks for that find on the E90 comparison. Excellent read. I think it actually makes my point in a couple of different ways, though.

First, note that it actually lost that comparison to the GT-R. Interestingly, though it beat the GTR in other comparos, including by C&D - http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests)

Why?

As I was saying on a different thread this morning, a lot of the head to head testing depends on what the review wants.

So thinking about the 911 vs M3 rage that is out there in these threads now, C&D preferred the last E90 because, in large part, it was a better all around car than a 911. Car magazine preferred the 911 S in its recent review because it was a better pure sports car than the F80.

Going back to your article, that is the very point made in the "Verdict": it notes that the M3 lost to the R8 in the 2007 "performance car" listings but won on that comparison because it was focussed on "all around versatility".

Or: perspective matters. (I would say it is indispensible).

At the end of the day (as I said at the end of the original post....which was long, so no worries if everyone didnt make it all the way through to the end...or if they fell asleep before finishing, had to take it chunks, etc) is that the F80 will likely lose head to heads because other car companies are producing much better cars. That is a good thing, no? Put another way, for car lovers, how could it possibly be bad?
Appreciate 0