05-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #104
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Whoooooaaaah.

Thanks for that find on the E90 comparison. Excellent read. I think it actually makes my point in a couple of different ways, though.

First, note that it actually lost that comparison to the GT-R. Interestingly, though it beat the GTR in other comparos, including by C&D - http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests)

Why?

As I was saying on a different thread this morning, a lot of the head to head testing depends on what the review wants.

So thinking about the 911 vs M3 rage that is out there in these threads now, C&D preferred the last E90 because, in large part, it was a better all around car than a 911. Car magazine preferred the 911 S in its recent review because it was a better pure sports car than the F80.

Going back to your article, that is the very point made in the "Verdict": it notes that the M3 lost to the R8 in the 2007 "performance car" listings but won on that comparison because it was focussed on "all around versatility".

Or: perspective matters. (I would say it is indispensible).

At the end of the day (as I said at the end of the original post....which was long, so no worries if everyone didnt make it all the way through to the end...or if they fell asleep before finishing, had to take it chunks, etc) is that the F80 will likely lose head to heads because other car companies are producing much better cars.
You're projecting. While versatility was part of the reasons it's also the car that was the most fun of them all and it had the best motor. Price was also a consideration. Without the motor and superior fun factor "versatility" would not have put it in 2nd, you can be sure of that.
Appreciate 0