View Single Post
      03-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #239
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
No one asked how the V6 will be developed, yet he volunteered that they have discussed shortening the M5(F10) engine. That's the subtle hint at the most likely engine.
That or it is another red herring to corroborate with all the others they may very well have been intentionally leaking out over the past couple years. Hedging bets based on the words of BMW officials - especially when trying to find deep meaning through your own subjective interpretation - is probably a losing game IMHO.

The "most likely engine" at this point is the most cost efficient one that gets the job done - just like they did with the M5 and its relatives. It is hard to argue against a 3L I6 in that light, especially when they have just released a 375hp tri-turbo I6 which, prior to the early rumors of such an engine *not one single person* would have said "Hey you know what, I'll bet BMW M is developing a diesel that makes 125hp/L." There's your first "surpirse", as he calls it. The next surprise? We can do a 150hp/L gasoline I6 engine no problem too guys. Though that really only comes as a surprise if you buy into the masses saying it can't be done, and don't take the time to understand modern engine technology.
Appreciate 0