View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #176
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Fastest laps or what BMW instructors say (which btw, are credible and don't do the marketing schtick given none of them own BMWs, trust me), while a very small sample size, is information that is corroborative. Incremental small sample size information when is corroborate directionally to an appropriate larger sample size (instrumented tests), will likely yield the right conclusion. Interestingly, in the head-to-head tests performed by a few guys in the US (best isolates ambient conditions), M3 wins to 60, 1/8 and quarter. Also any dyno operator will tell you these engines/ECUs are so tough to dyno as the ECUs adapt to ambient conditions, its probably less accurate than doing 10 1/4 mile runs with two cars and averaging the result to really see which car is faster. Some of the dyno racers/aftermarket guys are claiming that the 2010+ M3s because of new software and minor engine improvements and faster later model times, are actually producing more like 430 hp (btw, I don't believe this personally, there are a lot of dyno games going on) Also, the M3's weight/power ratio is superior, so at least in theory, it should be the faster car..(even assuming 370 hp for the 1M) again corroborative. I just haven't found much dissenting information in a large enough sample size that would lead me to your conclusion (except for the threads full of 'war stories').

Don't get me wrong, the 1M is a great car (drove one at the M school) and MT vs MT, I think it's entirely plausible, for the average driver in most conditions, the 1M will be faster as getting the gearing exactly right for the M3 is tough for the average driver..you have to work that engine optimally.

Would be interesting to do the torque multiplication math through the gears/diff/wheels to really see which car is producing more torque to the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

And fastest.laps or M driving school! Please, we both can do better than that.
Appreciate 0