View Single Post
      02-26-2024, 04:47 AM   #6
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Although a 295 fits on a 10” wide wheel, a 285 on a 10” wheel will likely have more grip due to better support from the wheel. There are plenty of tire comparison tests that demonstrate stuffing a wider tire on a narrower rim doesn’t result in increased grip/performance. I once believed wider is better but I now know that’s generally not the case. A 295 will overhang a 10” wide wheel by ~0.4” on each side.

I’ve used PSS and PS4S tires on the same wheels and same tire sizes. PS4Ss definitely have more grip than PSSs but it’s not by a large amount. PS4S also has a softer sidewall so you have to run higher pressures to get the same steering and turn-in response as the PSS. You can’t go wrong with either tire but the PS4S is the newer tire.

If lack of grip is a concern then why not step up to a stickier tire? Stepping up to a tire with a slightly lower treadwear rating will give you considerably more grip but also slightly reduced tread life. I recently tried the Yoko v601 on my r56 Mini Cooper S, switching from PSS. The grip increase was considerably higher than what I was expecting and what the 280 TW rating suggested (PSS TW rating is 300). No increase in road noise and vibration but a slight increase in harshness due to a stiffer sidewall. BMW has homologated the Yoko v107 (240 TW rating) as an oem tire for the g8x and they’ve been using it on g8x M Performance wheel sets, too. I’d definitely consider the v107 and v601 tires if you’re looking for a tire with more grip.
Interesting. I've never even considered any other tire than Michelin, just have always felt Michelin was the premium tire.

This car is a 3 day work week daily driver. I want it to handle ok in the rain, but also want to be able to floor it at a red light and have it hook up decent on my non tuned car. Also want to be able to take a corner sharp, although I'm sure any of these tires handle cornering just fine.

A lot to unpack here and think about from these responses.
Appreciate 0