11-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadam View Post
I ran my BMW 1991 E36 320i on E85 for 3years and 50000 kilometers.
I just put in a new Walbro255 fuelpump, used larger injectors and aftermarket engine management system.
Ran just fine! No issues at all with gaskets etc. Passed emissiontests yearly!
E85 has had a bad reputation but that is probably since all the ethanolcars so far have been made in order to be able to run regular fuel as well.... 13:1 - 15:1 in compression for a N/A engine on E85 should show much better mileage and economy.

Mythbusters would probably find that regular fuel is more corrosive that ethanol on most hoses..
It's only untreated aluminium that will show signs of wear/corrosion. So plastic or stainless steel is better material for the fuelrail!
The corrosive quality is due to the fact that etanol can contain more water and that used to be a problem on older fuel tanks etc.

We used to have a couple of cars that were converted to run on CNG. Worked fine for a long time... Until the catalysts disintegrated and the cylinder heads corroded (the combustion chamber in the head looked like it was smouldering away... Very pourous). Ending in a cloud of smoke and a major engine rebuild...

Last edited by Boss330; 11-26-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0